You are here
Chief Financial Officer - Africa
Global market leader with over 10,000 staff and US$1bil in revenue
Responsibility for large number of African countries
About Our Client
Our client provides complex and unique services to a wide range of clients and industry sectors, and are the No.1 leader in their field around the world. They have over 10,000 staff and over US$1bil in revenue, and have a very fast paced work environment.
They promote those who get results, and offer international careers for those with such ambitions.
The Chief Financial Officer Africa is responsible for all accounting and finance activities for Africa and overall achievement of the region's financial, governance, operational IT and efficiency objectives.
The role covers all business lines and leads a team of circa 50 employees located across South Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar, Angola, Guinea, Gabon, Ghana and Nigeria. The CFO is a full member of the Executive Committee for the region (Regional Ex-Co) and plays an important business partnering role with other leaders on commercial, risk management and business development activities across Africa. He or she will also participate in special projects such as assessment and integration of successful acquisitions, or small-scale divestments.
The CFO has a solid reporting line to the Regional General Manager for Africa (based in Johannesburg) and a very strong "dotted" reporting line to the Group CFO.
- Strategy - Leadership of all strategic, tactical and operational aspects of accounting and finance for the region - from budgeting and planning through to monthly monitoring and reporting, and active participation in monthly business reviews along with Regional Ex-co.
- Business Partnering - Provide strong commercial and risk-based advice to the Regional Ex-Co on customer, business development, market development, liquidity or other matters which will impact the success of the region.
- People - Provide strong leadership, support and development to all finance, accounting and IT personnel across the region. A key responsibility is building and retaining motivated, competent team members.
- Operations - Ensure local financial systems and processes are in place, and effective in supporting regional business requirements. This will include ensuring that regional financial information and reports are accurate and timely in helping regional and country general managers address key business issue.
- Governance - Ensure each local African entity operates within local regulatory guideline as well as group financial and accounting guidelines. The role includes leadership of projects designed to improve financial governance processes, standards and results for the region.
- Group Liaison - A key role is providing business intelligence data, budget, forecast and operational performance estimations or actuals back to Group Finance.
- Specialist financial services - Ensure specialist financial support is fit-for-purpose and maximizes key financial metrics - covering Tax, Liquidity, Bank relationship management, audit processes (Group policies, Code of Ethics, Accounting Policies and Procedures etc)
- Customer focus - Ensure that each local accounting team is providing high quality service to internal and external customers.
- Sustainability and Improvement - Work closely with the Group Chief Financial Officer to ensure that region needs are adequately supported and in implementing functional improvement.
The Successful Applicant
In order to be successful for this role, you will have held a CFO or Finance Director position for a minimum of 5 years, and have worked for a multinational company which has significant operations in multiple countries on the Africa continent. You will have been part of a regional leadership / executive team, managing revenue in excess of US$100mil ideally.
From an industry perspective, our client would prefer candidates who have worked for a services-based type of organisation, whether that be industrial, technical or other service types. We would also like to see candidates from the mining, oil & gas, energy, infrastructure, automation, chemicals, security, logistics or medical sectors.
Degree qualified with a post graduate qualification like CA(SA), you will have managed large teams of people, and specifically be well versed in travelling into various African countries outside of South Africa. Your experience in reporting into management based overseas will also be critical.
Finally, you will have a calm and resilient personality, able to navigate within a matrix structure and influence a range of different stakeholders from different backgrounds with different language skills.
What's on Offer
Our client is globally recognised as a great employer to work for, offering fast moving careers to those who achieve and bring results. They have a long track record of relocating people overseas, therefore offering international job opportunities.
There are very few CFO roles based in South Africa that have a true African remit, so this role offers the candidate the opportunity to have CFO responsibility across 40 countries on the continent.
The salary range of R2.5mil - R3.5mil TCTC plus bonus also allows the client to attract top talent in the South African market. Their bonus reward program is in line with other multinationals.