You are here
Data Science Manager
- Data Science Manager - Professional Services
- My client is one of the largest professional services companies in the country
About Our Client
My client is one of the largest professional services companies in the world based in Sandton. They are looking for a Data Science Manager who will be responsible for setting up and expanding the data science capability area within the organization.
Reporting to the Executive Head: Data Science & Analytics, the Data Science Manager will be responsible for formulating and driving their evolving data strategy and will advise on how best to support their clients on large data and analytic initiatives. The incumbent will also have the following key responsibilities:
- Lead the firm's team of advanced analytic, data science, and primary research experts
- Serve as the Advanced Analytics expert on advanced analytics strategy cases
- Provide expert advise in proposal discussions
- Manage a team of Data Engineers and Specialists
- Demonstrate a fluent understanding of major ERP, CRM, Data Warehousing, Relational and Non-relational database systems and be familiar with new applications and technology in unstructured data storage and query solutions
- Translate business objectives into data and analytics solutions and translate results into business insights using appropriate data engineering, analytics, visualization, and dashboard applications
- Help develop Advanced Analytics Intellectual Property and identify areas of new opportunity for data science and analytics for the firm and its clients
- Advise clients on best practices for enterprise data architecture and data governance while managing the analytical infrastructure
- Develop and/or implement tools for data acquisition, extraction, transformation, management, and manipulation of large and complex data sets
- Develop relationships with external data and analytics vendors
- Support and train consulting teams in the use of data and visualization tools
The Successful Applicant
Qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Econometrics or Information Sciences such as business analytics or informatics.
- 6+ years' experience in data mining, predictive modeling, machine learning, statistical modeling, large scale data acquisition, transformation, and cleaning, both structured and unstructured data.
- Track record of leading and collaborating on strategic initiatives.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with people at all levels and with multi-office/region teams.
- Proficiency in some combination of SQL, R, Python, Julia, Java, Scala.
- Expertise in extracting and transforming large datasets; experience with ETL tools like Informatica, DataStage, Ab Initio, SSIS, Talend, and Pentaho desired.
- Demonstrated experience with database technologies (e.g. Oracle, SAP, DB2, Teradata, MS SQL Server, Vertica, Greenplum, SAP HANA, MySQL)
- Data modeling, data architecture, MDM, and data governance experience a plus.
- Experience with NoSQL database technologies (e.g., MongoDB, Cassandra, CouchDB) a plus
- Must thrive in a fast paced environment and be able to work independently.
- Travel required
- Strategic consulting experience a plus.
- Experience with dashboards, business intelligence tools, and visualization solutions a plus.
What's on Offer
R1,400,000 CTC per annum to R1,800,000 CTC per annum