You are here
Dierctor, Senior Credit Ratings Analyst for African Corporates
- Director, Corporate Credit Ratings, Africa
- Director, Senior Credit Ratings Analyst for African Corporates
About Our Client
Our client is a leading provider of global credit benchmarks and research that investors, businesses, and markets use to foster economic development and growth around the world. Revenue generated for 2015 totals $1.7 billion and their employee count exceeds 1,300 analysts around the world.
This position falls within one of the four main pillars of the organisation and together our client is the foremost providers of essential intelligence for the capital and commodities markets.
- Take analytical responsibility for a portfolio of initially about 25-30 issuers, the bulk of which are based in South Africa, followed by Nigeria, Zambia, Kenya, supported by an Associate analyst based in Jo'burg. Develop and maintain effective relationships with these issuers and intermediaries.
- Represent the organisation at meetings with senior management of existing or new clients as well as at education meetings or seminars on analytical matters.
- Specialize across different sectors, while working with different teams and sector specialists in EMEA - ranging from oil, mining, telecoms, utilities to consumer and retail.
- Closely co-ordinate with EMEA-based Analytical Manager(s), to prioritize assignments, research publications and investor outreach.
- Manage, support and guide another local analyst and develop their analytical and personal skills. Review, critique, and provide analytic feedback on analysis and publishing performed.
- Flexibility and adaptability to rapidly pick up and maintain credit surveillance as primary analyst on a rating portfolio of about 10 credits (mainly tier 1), notably in the oil, mining, telecom and utilities industry in South Africa, with no or minimal supervision.
- Act as backup analyst on all other African companies, attending meetings in support of colleagues, providing cover for colleagues who are temporarily unavailable due to holidays or business travel.
- Chair rating committees, which fall under the oversight responsibility and participate in global tier 1 committees as voter.
- Demonstrate strong analytical excellence and thought leadership to internal and external audiences and maintain and enhance the quality and timeliness of our analysis.
- Analyze original, non-routine or complex credit stories in a timely, orderly and insightful manner and present findings and opinions to a credit rating committee.
- Assure that analytical guidelines, procedures and policies are adhered to.
- Lead/contribute to local industry focus teams to share analytical learnings from other practices, including banks, sovereigns and structured finance.
- Selectively participate in more specialized global industry discussions, such as oil, mining or telecoms.
The Successful Applicant
Covering multiple sectors, you would be involve with various teams, notably Commodities, Telecom, Utilities. You would directly report into one Analytical Manager for organizational objectives but would need to reach out and interact with many other Managers and sector specialists across teams in Europe.
Locally the team consists of two corporate analysts including yourself, besides a sovereign analyst and 3 bank and insurance analysts. The successful candidate will be comfortable to work very independently in an environment which stimulates continuous improvement and innovation, and the highest customer service standards whilst adhering to established ratings criteria, methodology, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate strong experience with a large commercial bank, investment bank, investing institution, rating agency or an audit company, or other credit institutions, working in the field of credit analysis of multinational corporations of at least 8 years.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English are essential, combined with a willingness to act as a spokes person to media and investors on corporate related matters.
- Multiple industry expertise covering South African corporates would be an advantage.
- Have strong analytical skills with a deep understanding of financial statements and accounting concepts.
- Able to prepare forecasts based upon reasoned assumptions will be required.
- Be numerate and accurate with figures and detail orientated with the ability to maintain accuracy whilst complying with potentially tight deadlines.
- The ability to work both independently and within a local as well as highly international team environment is critical.
- Be willing to travel to Europe and across the African continent, sometimes at short notice.
- Be educated to degree level in a relevant business related field, a relevant Master's degree, CFA or financial qualification would be desirable.
- 10 - 15 years' experience as a Credit Analyst
- 2 - 3 years' managerial experience
- 3 - 5 years' corporate credit risk ratings experience for African corporates
- Relevant tertiary qualification
What's on Offer
R1,600,000 - R1,900,000 basic + Perf bonus