You are here
General Manager - Nairobi - Agriculture Project
Exceptional opportunity to develop a large scale agri-business
Sovereign wealth fund support
About Our Client
Our client is a multinational company possessing diversified commercial interests in trading, manufacturing and recently agriculture. With the plan to create an important agro-industrial business with massive plantations, there is a real hunger and desire to become a dominant company in the agri-business and make a success of this venture.
To that end, we are now seeking a General Manager. The General Manager will create from scratch this project and lead a team of professionals in the development and operation of the company's agro-industrial business having full P&L accountability to the Board.
Reporting to the Country Managing Director and the board, the General Manager will:
- develop, propose and implement annual budget plans, monitor investments/CAPEX and manage all aspects of the company,
- lead the physical development of the agriculture projects and represent the best interests of the company in line with budget, legal requirements, strategy and objectives set by the HQ,
- create and maintain cross functional lines of reporting into corporate headquarters,
- Manage large workforce (+3'000 staff in the future) with the assistance of Agronomy, Production, Finance, HR, Purchasing, Logistic and Quality directors,
- represent the company externally with clients, suppliers, government, statutory/regulatory bodies,
- take lead accountability for the safe operation of the activities; protect employee and employer interests with satisfactory HSEC performance.
The Successful Applicant
Candidates will have over 20 years of experience working in large scale agri-business with increasing responsibilities for the management and support of a complex business with full profit and loss accountability for at least the past 8 or 10 years. Due to the complexity and the magnitude of this project, a good knowledge in agronomy and development of green field operations will be an asset in this role. Candidates must also have the capacity to build legitimacy and leadership by the commercial development and must be able to deliver results in a difficult environment.
Prior experience in an independent agriculture projects on a large scale will be an added advantage.
Taking into account the local context, a personal or professional experience in an emerging market country will be useful for rapid integration.
What's on Offer
Excellent remuneration +250'000US$ nets + bonus and benefits. This role is based in Nairobi and will require travels on sites.