You are here
Snr. Program Manager - Environment
- Global Supermajor
- Local Representative to centre of excellence
About Our Client
Our Client is a global Supermajor with operations throughout the continent. With a diversified mix of energy solutions, our Client is looking to further entrench themselves in the region as the leader in energy production and distribution. Employing over 100,000 people globally, they offer a unique culture of excellence with opportunities to develop ones career on an international arena.
This role will have no direct reports in South Africa however will report into Europe. Virtual engagements with internal stakeholders will be regularly conducted and therefore excellent communication skills is critical to the role.
Financially, this person will be directly accountable for projects of between R 42M - R 70M.
Specific challenges will include:
- Driving risk based approaches with regulators / understanding regulatory framework and ways to influence.
- Drive decision making with limited data.
- Work closely with CoB stakeholders to understand business objectives and deliver soil and groundwater projects within those objectives in a timely and cost effective way.
- Within agreed global approach and guidelines, develop new ways of working with consultants to drive mutually beneficial collaborative working relationships.
- Balancing and articulating environmental risks and liabilities.
- Working in a virtual organizations.
- Working in multiple regulatory jurisdictions and potentially in multiple languages.
Furthermore this incumbent will be responsible for:
- Development of risk management strategies for reducing soil and groundwater liability in portfolio of 100-200 projects that include sites from multiple COBs.
- Lead development and management of relationship with regulators and stakeholders to ensure cost effective remediation strategies.
- Drive Goal Zero performance culture in environmental consultants and their subcontractors.
- Overall contract management third party environmental services consultants and manage their delivery, performance within approved budgets and KPIs.
- Drive adoption of best practice process for managing environmental services across the area of responsibility.
- Engage in peer review of both own and others environmental projects to ensure overall best practice is being maintained.
- Ensure that the group environmental standards are met on all sites under operational control.
- Ensure Strategic Environmental Team (SET) sites are identified and appropriately managed.
- Act as ES (environmental services) focal point with other Network functions to ensure ES represented in Network decisions.
- Act as ES focal point for other COBs. Develop deep understanding of COB business drivers.
- Developing relationships with internal business stakeholders that include at least 2 other COBs.
- Develop budgets for T&R purposes.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills. He/She, in order to be successful, will have to be able to communicate with the regulator and show them (based on international experience) that a risk-based approach would be beneficial in some circumstances vs. suggested approaches. Excellent negotiation skills are therefore paramount.
The technical understanding will be important however, the ability to understand and collate the information and communicate the results will be the primary focus of the role.
The individual will be able to travel roughly one week out of the month to the various sites.
Lastly, the succcessful candidate will be a South African citizen.
What's on Offer
A competitive salary offer for the right calibre candidate as well as the opportunity to become the primary accountable person for this function in South Africa. He/She will have opportunities to travel and develop within a multinational organisation.