GM Southern Africa/ Logistics Operations/ Johannesburg
Home delivery E-Commerce start-up seeking GM with strong operating experience
Possess an entrepreneurial flair in order to lead a fast-growing new business
About Our Client
My client is a well-established (e-commerce) premiere online food delivery service organisation with a leading presence in the East African Region. In partnership with over 250 international restaurants, their online service offering caters directly to customers and businesses.
With the provision of an existing clientele and budget, the General Manager Southern Africa will initially have the responsibility of establishing the business's operations in South Africa with the intention to expand and set up operations in the rest of Southern Africa (after a year).
My client seeks a seasoned operations expert to launch its business in South Africa. This role will be instrumental to the future of the company and will have broad scope to design, manage, and grow a top-tier food delivery operation in South Africa.
This role will report directly to the Group CEO and requires a highly-motivated candidate prepared to take on the responsibility of building a new organisation from the ground up.
The GM will be accountable for launching and managing delivery services for the company's corporate clients in South Africa. They will be expected to achieve delivery volume targets on time, within budget, and at the highest standards of service. This position will also be the leader of the companies anticipated expansion into the Southern African region and will be responsible for executing deals anticipated deals in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana.
Main responsibilities include:
- Recruit, train, and manage country team
- Launch first deal in market and ramp up to agreed service level on time and within budget
- Overall ownership of regional budget (all aspects of P&L besides business development)
- Support commercial team on developing operational models for deals in pipeline
- Coordinate with operations teams at client restaurants to ensure flawless delivery experience
- Assist in practical tasks of launching a new business (registration, compliance, etc.)
- Lead expansion into other markets in Southern Africa
- Ensure regular reporting and participate in board calls when required
- Manage and maintain customer relationships
The Successful Applicant
The General Manager Southern Africa will have the following attributes:
- University degree required, MBA preferred
- 7-10 years of progressive career experience in operations focused roles
- Highly entrepreneurial and independent - this role involves building a brand-new organisation from the ground up
- Proven track-record of performance managing operations teams
- Experience leading complex projects from planning to completion
- Understanding of B2B relationship management and ability to interact comfortably with senior restaurant executives
- Strong leadership and inter-personal skills
- Hands on & results oriented
- MS Excel skills essential, experience with ERP platforms a plus
- E-commerce/logistics/ FMCG/ Retail/ Supply Chain sector experience strongly preferred
What's on Offer
The General Manager Southern Africa will receive:
- A competitive salary
- Quarterly performance bonus
- Opportunity for equity participation at Group level