Investment Manager (Equity Financing)
An Investment company focused on deploying capital into Sub Saharan Africa
Participation in all elements of transaction origination and execution
About Our Client
Lonrho is an investment company with operations in 14 countries within Africa. It is solely focussed on Sub Saharan African investment opportunities.
The group invests in opportunities in agriculture, infrastructure, FMCG, food processing and financial services, taking either minority or majority positions.
Lonrho operates from head offices in London and Johannesburg, with the Investment team based in Johannesburg.
The Investment Manager will report directly in to Chief Investment Officer. They will interact significantly with many senior stakeholders including the Lonrho Board and Shareholders.
Lonrho operate an autonomous and entrepreneurial culture with emphasis on personal responsibility, and as a result you will be given a high level of exposure to a wide range of transactions across the investment life cycle from an early stage of joining the company.
Bringing a passion about the opportunities and potential within Africa as a continent, you will be encouraged to operate creatively and to develop innovative ideas whilst assisting with the sourcing and executing of new investments for Lonrho. You should bring a strong team mind set and able to work seamlessly with staff across the organisation internally including at senior management level, and with the confidence to lead where required.
Strong analytical skills, combined with a charismatic personality and excellent communication skills will enable you to credibly, and effectively interface with potential businesses and target opportunities. An exceptional work ethic combined with energy, drive and tenacity will be important.
This role therefore offers an exciting opportunity for an ambitious and entrepreneurial finance professional to take on a broad and challenging role and make an impact across Africa. Success in this role will be rewarded through a competitive package comprising base salary, bonus and benefits.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Involvement in M&A deal origination activities with the Investment Team and internal stakeholders
- Undertaking reviews of markets and target companies to identify potential acquisitions or investment opportunities
- Evaluation of investment and business opportunities
- Championing the agreed strategy and investment requirements as set out by the board
- Preparing high quality financial analysis and recommendations to the board
- Taking on and running individual projects under the supervision of the Chief Investment Officer
- Coaching and developing other members of the team
- Report writing for presentations and papers submitted to the board/senior management
- Supporting the due diligence of investment opportunities
- Financial Analysis - Extremely strong financial and analytical skills, highly numerate with advanced modelling skill.
- Communication - Well developed communication skills, including an ability to interface directly and effectively with senior management of potential clients.
- Strong presentation and business writing skills including experience of preparing financial documents and IM's.
- Entrepreneurship - Ability to identify business opportunities, be solution focused in originating new business leads and adding value to portfolio companies.
- Understanding Business Issues
- Problem Solving - Maintain a solution focused approach
- Planning, Organisation & Time Management - Detail oriented with strong organizational and time management skills, and ability to manage multiple business priorities within a regularly changing landscape.
- Project Management - Exceptional project management skills.
The Successful Applicant
- Financial analytical & advanced modelling capabilities
- Well articulated and written capabilities in English
- Project management capability.
- 4 - 8 years in M&A or Transaction services.
Typically, 4-8 years of work experience in a
- deal environment (M&A Corporate Finance or Transaction Services) at a professional services firm, typically including a professional qualification such as a CA or ACA
- as an M&A advisor (investment banking, corporate finance boutique, internal Corporate Development department)
- Private Equity; or
- Strategy Consulting (ideally having provided commercial due diligence).
What's on Offer
Market related salary + Performance bonus