Sign up to receive job alerts
Take full commercial responsibility of the South African business
Leading and guiding strategic vision of the business to achieve long term growth
About Our Client
Our client is a German privately owned multi-national business. The South African business was established in 1997, based in Honeydew, Johannesburg.
Situated on their own premises, measuring roughly 1800 sqm, the current staff compliment comprises 42 individuals across the main office, a branch based in Cape Town and a smaller satellite branch, based in Centurion, Tshwane.
The South African business has a stock range of almost 1000 products on offer. It has access to the full global range via a weekly airfreight service from Germany and regular sea-freight shipments from Germany and Asia.
The target market for their stocked product range is the large furniture and kitchen manufacturing industries, smaller manufacturers, contractors, property developers, distributors, retailers and end user DIY clients.
The Managing Director will report into the International CEO and will have the following responsibilities.
- Responsible for the entire Southern African operation, P&L and Balance Sheet, including forecasting and budgeting.
- Permanent analyzing and improvement of business processes and monitoring of effectiveness and profitability in the sales organization.
- Provide for an ethical, safe, empowered, and eager learning environment that encourages and rewards initiative and fosters personal growth.
- Providing quick customer service, propose solutions and support actively the sales representative activities by leading by example
- Providing team leadership by ensuring cohesiveness in the business and with the customers
- Demonstration of creativity in terms of marketing and sales activities to build up the company brand name.
- Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement.
The Successful Applicant
The Managing Director will have the the following key attributes
- 10+ years work experience with a min. of 5 years as a Managing Director or a Senior Manager preferably for a European, preferably German medium sized company, with distribution organization in South Africa.
- A strong focus on Sales and Marketing.
- Prior full P&L and Balance Sheet responsibility a plus. Both extensive sales and operations experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and experience managing employees, preferably in sales related functions.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to negotiate, persuade, sell, and resolve conflicts.
- Proven leadership abilities to build a strong team and grow a business.
- Able to communicate with, engage and influence senior stakeholders (HQ)
- Show respect and consideration for colleagues
- Experience in our Industry (Manufacturing and Production, Furniture, Architectural/Builders Hardware) is a plus.
What's on Offer
A competitive salary based on candidate experience