Multinational Packaging Solutions Company
Older than 115 years'
About Our Client
Michael Page is partnering exclusively with Sonoco on finding a Plant Manager for their new plant to be based in Germiston, Johannesburg.
Sonoco has been a stable and growing business over the last 115 years. Sonoco is a multi-billion Dollar, global business with four segments: Industrial, Consumer, Protective Solutions and Display and Packaging. Their Headquarters are based in Hartsville, South Carolina.
Sonoco has 19,900 employees in more than 335 operations in 33 countries, serving more than 85 nations.
Our Client is setting up a plant in South Africa to ensure continued support to their key clients across the region. Sonoco will operate a highly automated & lean manufacturing plant employing between 30 - 40 operational & corporate staff in the initial start-up with further growth plans.
Minimum requirements for the role include:
- Degree/Masters in any Engineering discipline
- Specialization in production and operations management
- More than 8 years' experience in a manufacturing environment
- More than 5 years' management experience
- Experience in setting up a plant
- Experience in ERP systems
As the Plant Manager, duties and responsibilities will include:
- Ensure the safety of all employees by leading a comprehensive safety program to prevent injuries. Comply with all federal, state and local environmental and occupational safety and health regulations.
- Leads the preparation of annual plant operating budget.
- Meet or exceed plant productivity, cost or other performance metric expectations as outlined by the Regional Manufacturing Director, and/or General Manager.
- Leads the plant in continuous improvement initiatives, such as safety, 5S, Kaizen events and lean manufacturing to achieve plant operational efficiency.
- Drives operational costs reduction/savings without compromising on product quality and customers' satisfaction.
- Coordinate and communicate with the Sales team to ensure the efficiency of the production planning process meets customer demands at the optimal costs.
- Supports the plant's quality management system and quality initiatives to ensure product meets or exceeds customer expectations.
- Ensure preventive maintenance program is implemented and maintained.
- Build and maintain productive employee relationships by driving employee satisfaction, provide direction, training and development as needed.
- Provide employees with coaching, counselling or discipline as needed. Recommend disciplinary action to HR and review disciplinary action by Supervisors for effectiveness and consistency. Work with HR to address employee concerns and issues.
- Use the Performance Management Process to provide feedback and coach direct reports and work with them on their developments.
The Successful Applicant
Sonoco is looking for a candidate from South Africa to be based at their plant in Germiston.
The successful candidate will be degree or postgraduate qualified in any Engineering discipline. The successful candidate must be specialized in production and operations management, process engineering or industrial engineering.
The ideal person will have at least 8 years' experience in a manufacturing environment as a Production, Factory or Plant Manager. Must also have experience in setting up a plant and working under ERP systems.
What's on Offer
Our client is offering a very competitive salary package and bonus structure, but apart from the remuneration perspective, they offer unparalleled career opportunities and exposure to an international business.