Hiring temporary or contract staff in South Africa
Reasons for hiring temp and contract staff:
- Maternity cover
- Projects within the business
- Headcount freeze
- Lack of a legal entity in South Africa
- Increased periods of activity
Benefits of employing temps via Michael Page:
- Quick turnarounds: Benefit from fast impact as contractors/temp workers can hit the ground running and provide immediate solutions
- Flexibility of termination: Working on an urgent project? A contractor can start as soon as tomorrow
- Trial new roles
- Financial savings: Hiring temps and contractors is cost-effective and friendly to your bottomline in the long run
- Free replacement should the temp leave before the conclusion of their assignment
- HR administration managed by Michael Page
- Invoiced on work actually done by the candidate
- Specialist consultants
Client: A large mining organization
Post the departure of the CFO, the organization’s Finance department was undergoing a restructure to drive efficiency and 3 roles needed to be filled. As a result of the restructure, the organization was facing a roadblock directly hiring 3 candidates on a full time basis. This is when they approached us to support.
- We met face to face with the organization to understand the exact requirements of the roles. Given the hiring limitations posed by the restructure, we recommended not only identifying/recruiting candidates who would work on a temporary basis but also we would be able to directly employ them on the organization’s behalf.
- The organization was impressed with the experience of the shortlisted candidates we identified within 24 hours of the meeting.
- Interviews were scheduled, and subsequently, an offer was made to a candidate for each of the 3 roles.
- Michael Page directly employed the 3 candidates who signed up on a temp basis, helping the organization bypass their hiring constraints and additional administration.